Pages

11/14/2014

Review: Opeth at The Circus 12.11.

One of the world's greatest progressive metal bands (and bands in general), Opeth, delighted us fans with their presence in Helsinki on Wednesday 12th of November. Here's my short commentary on their setlist and the atmosphere of the gig.

Before Opeth a French shoegaze band Alcest played some of their songs. I hadn't heard about them before, but I was very impressed. Especially their song Opale was extremely beautiful. I'm looking forward to listen to them more in the future.


The main performer was fantastic. As we know, Opeth's guys are most talented musicians. They can do incredible things with their instruments and they're completely synchronized. Still, they're not one bit arrogant. The front man of the band, Mikael Ã…kerfeldt, is just lovely when he jokes around between the songs. It was in this sense a very amusing concert!

The setlist was also golden: we got to hear songs from every period of their career.


1. Eternal Rains Will Come
2. Cusp of Eternity
3. Bleak
4. The Moor
5. Advent
6. Elysian Woes
7. Windowpane
8. The Devil's Orchard
9. You Suffer (Napalm Death cover, it was fucking hilarious!)
10. April Ethereal
11. The Lotus Eater
12. The Grand Conjuration (a friend of mine who regreted not coming to the gig told me that it's highly possible to become pregnant for Mikael Ã…kerfeldt when this song is heard live. Guess I'll give birth to a tiny progemessiah in nine months then!)
13. Encore: Deliverance

It was perfect. I can't complain about anything! I'm utterly happy I had the possibility to experience this. It was ~three hours of pure ecstasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment